Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cataloging your collection
Belkom
Collective Farmer

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10/30/2004 at 16:27
Cataloging your collection

Over the years of my stamp collecting, I have not found simple and flexible enough software that can be adapted to the hobby. Maybe I did not look hard enough or maybe I expect too much, but I got feeling that unless you are seriously involved in programming, or really familiar with other customizable database products, you facing the same problem.
So I decided to give it a try doing it myself!
I have no idea of what I am getting into, but what the hack, I’ll give it a shot!
I am going to call my project “StampX” Sound like “stamps” related and something experimental at the same time, is not’ it!
The purpose of “StampX” is to consolidate and cross reference data from various catalogs and other publications or Internet, or any other sources into one massive and ease to handle source of information.
I would like to create a system, which will allow me to pile all initial information into the “stamp folder” and keep adding it up, as I go along. Something, I will never overgrow.
While adding notes and free handwriting into that same “stamp folder” I would like to be able to add scanned images, zoom and edit features of the varieties, keep inventory records, updated pricing, new available to me facts, etc.
The way I see, it’s just a huge bank of information on your fingertips without going crazy thru the books all over your desk. Something can be taken to the stamp show or visiting other fellow collector.
I would like to try “Microsoft Access”
If it will work the way I think, it’s going to be great!
Hey, is anybody out there who might be interested helping me?
Any ideas?
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/30/2004 at 16:39

What a great challenge! MS Access is limited and is not cross-platform. Would you be willing to consider doing it in Excel or Filemaker Pro, which are cross-platform programs?
Belkom
Collective Farmer

[*] posted on 10/30/2004 at 16:54

Gary,
I am open for any suggestions!
I know the results I am looking for. But execution is something else! I would like to make sure that all fields in database is searchable. Would filemaker will give me that ability?
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 11/1/2004 at 00:16

I'm more in to web-based applications. Looks like you are pursuing an application you can run on your desktop? MS Access is very powerful, but I've never really figured it out. If you can develop an MS Access application for this, you might be able to sell it!

:hoho

oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 11/1/2004 at 06:02
MS ACCESS

I use MS ACCESS for all my inventories, want lists, book-keeping etc. It's not the best RDB (Relational Database) in the world (many programmers hate it), but it's VERY widely used and as a RDB it allows SQL access, so one can write his/her own queries, reports etc. And it's flexible enough to make custom modifications/adjustments. I never tried to put images in it, but I think it can be done.
Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

[*] posted on 11/15/2004 at 06:56

Any decisions on which program you will use?

Belkom
Collective Farmer

lecture.gif posted on 11/15/2004 at 10:35

Hi Jeff,
Probably MS Access. I am not familiar with Filemaker.
Actualy, I am having difficulties with Access as well.
But one step at the time. Nowdays I am trying to model database and lern more of the program. Will see.
Hopefully I will not give up my ideas.

Go To Top