Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reference work Odessa
tbeberger
Major Philatelist

Mood: Fine

[*] posted on 12/4/2004 at 15:49
Reference work Odessa

I am looking for this booklet:
Kofman & Kalin; The Odessa Post, 1998 or any other literature dedicated to Odessa.
What is printed?
yozhik
Expert Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12/7/2004 at 17:24

BJRP 31 authoritative Article by Ian baillie on Odessa postmarks 1908-26.
Iain's Odessa postmark collection from pre-stamp through until the soviet times is coming up for auction at Bonhams in London on 14th december.

If you are interested e-mail stamps@bonhams.com
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/7/2004 at 18:25

Does the sale include the Kofman & Kalin item, which was the question?:lecture
yozhik
Expert Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/11/2004 at 08:54

The question was not just about the Kofman & Kallin item but also anything else published about Odessa.
The Bonhams auction also contains a large section on Odessa postmarks from earliest types upwards.
Gary
Deceased

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/11/2004 at 17:47

Sorry Yozhik, you are Quite right! My question "was" if the first item was listed in the auction. Seems it did not come out that way. "the" should have been "a."

Another look at the auction website indicates no pictures. Such a shame. The Odessa material is there as well as the SPb material, but lotted in such a way that you must see the lot to make a good decision on bidding.

Additionally, there are a few items on Odessa in the Rossica journal as well. Please see the index on the web site. For more information about what is in the Library, please contact the Librarian.
yozhik
Expert Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/12/2004 at 17:59

I have to say I agree with you the lot descriptions in the catalogue are not as full as they could have been and the absence of pictures is a real shame.

I viewed the lots on Friday and found that some similar sounding lots had vastly different material in them to someone who knows what they are looking at. some real jems were not picked out at all in the descriptions.

Given that there were a lot of notes and written up items there is really no excuse for this.

I shall be attending the auction and god willing will win a few items, if I do then I will be picking a few out to post on the samovar.
tbeberger
Major Philatelist

Mood: Fine

[*] posted on 12/20/2004 at 16:15

In between I have got a Xerox copy of the Kofman & Kalin booklet from Andrew Cronin, Editor of The Canadian Society of Russian Philately. A nice introduction from the beginning to 1998.
In the Bonhams auction I have made some bids. Seems I was the only bidder at least for the Odessa material because I got nearly everything.
Thanks to all for your information.

Go To Top