The Samovar

Current imperial russia experts?

David Jay - 6/3/2010 at 11:01

I need to get an item expertised. A question about experts for imperial Russia, after looking on the AIEP list-

It was previously sold by
Cherrystone, so Mr. Buchsbyev has a conflict of interest. It
has a Cronin cert. already, so that is not relevant. Dr. Ortwin
Greiss only does Zemstvo, Mr. Zagorskiy only does post 1918, Mr. Dobin only does pre-philatelic. So who else is there?

I've heard of Lothar Eishold as an expert and have seen a certificate of his. Does anyone know of his reputation and if he is active?

Thanks

ameis33 - 6/3/2010 at 14:19

What about Hovest, BPP?

David Jay - 6/4/2010 at 00:09

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I contact him. I just noted on the web a reference to the 2002 death of Lothar Eishold. If this is not in the "much exaggerated" category, we need
some new experts...

oldteddy - 6/4/2010 at 06:06

What's about Zbigniew Mikulski? Is he still alive? And if so - does he still work as an expert?

David Jay - 6/4/2010 at 10:25

I'm told he is retired; he is no longer listed.

oldteddy - 6/4/2010 at 11:23

APS is taking Russian imperial stamps, as well as Philatelic Foundation, but I do not know who the experts are.

Looks like a Rossica certificate I have from 1993 is going to become a rarity.

ameis33 - 6/4/2010 at 14:16

I said Hovest because he was suggested to me as russian expert, but to be honest i never sent anything to him...
I have checked the BPP list, but it is not listed anymore... I don't know why...
But as for references, you can find them on several websites, i.e.
http://tbberger.redio.de/RPHrfr.htm
http://arthurj-w.tripod.com/i/localdlr/eu/dexpert2.htm

Ludger Hovest
Wilhelm-Leuschner-Str. 45, 46485 Wesel, Germany
Phone: +49 281 6849150 -- Fax: +49 281 68491 51
ludgerhovest@yahoo.de
RSFSR / USSR 1917 - today, Russian Levant

He was indicated to me also for imperial russia...
Hope it could be of any help

tbeberger - 6/6/2010 at 14:00

Ludger Hoverst as well as Wassmann retired as Russia examinators of the German Bund Philatelistischer Prüfer.

Lacplesis - 6/7/2010 at 01:15

Hovest does still expertizes on a privat base, but I would suggest you try to find some of his post BPP work on ebay and decide then, if you would trust it.
Last certificate I found from Mr. Hovest was for a Berlin embassy airmail overprint. You know the problems involved with this overprints...