The Samovar

V. Tyler's article about Avalov-Bermondt forgeries

igorfmyask - 10/15/2010 at 19:02

I am looking for V. Tyler's article about Avalov-Bermondt forgeries in the American Philatelist (May 1983). I hope somebody can help me.

Rasputin - 10/18/2010 at 07:42

Igor',

The Rossica Library has this article, plus the one by Harry von Hofmann, "Die Awaloff-Bermondt-Marken oder Dichtung und wahrheit," in Philatelia Baltica 45-47, Dec. 1966, the two most detailed expositions on those stamps. You can write to Greg Mirsky, the Rossica Librarian, (and you'll get the article(s) for free), or you can approach the American Philatelic Research Library and obtain a copy from them (for a fee).

igorfmyask - 10/18/2010 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by Rasputin  
Igor',

The Rossica Library has this article, plus the one by Harry von Hofmann, "Die Awaloff-Bermondt-Marken oder Dichtung und wahrheit," in Philatelia Baltica 45-47, Dec. 1966, the two most detailed expositions on those stamps. You can write to Greg Mirsky, the Rossica Librarian, (and you'll get the article(s) for free), or you can approach the American Philatelic Research Library and obtain a copy from them (for a fee).

Thank you.

cec71 - 10/20/2010 at 20:14

I have the paper if needed. Have authored an article to be published in the American Philatelist this fall on this series of stamps. Discussed with illustrations are genuine, type 1 and type 2 forgeries. Very fascinating series in regard to types of paper, thickness of paper etc. . Approximately 75% on the market are forgeries.

igorfmyask - 10/20/2010 at 23:17

Quote: Originally posted by cec71  
I have the paper if needed. Have authored an article to be published in the American Philatelist this fall on this series of stamps. Discussed with illustrations are genuine, type 1 and type 2 forgeries. Very fascinating series in regard to types of paper, thickness of paper etc. . Approximately 75% on the market are forgeries.

I am working on this issue now and collect all possible information. Archive of Avalov-Bermondt exists in the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace. I have found documents related to 4th issue. They show that lithographer Gots couldnot sell stamps to stamp dealer in Hanover because they (9-10 million stamps) were sequestrated by German police. Just 260,000 postage and revenue stamps survived because they were prepared to go to Mitava and were not in lithography at that moment. Looks like genuine stamps are Dr. Ceresa's forgeries F1.

If you can read Russian I can send you copies. Please contact me at igorfmyask@hotmail.com