The Samovar

1932 Moscow Philatelic Exhibition

Unhinged - 3/19/2018 at 10:42

Can anyone point me to where I can find out more about this event?

IvoSteijn - 3/21/2018 at 03:27

If you read Russian I have a good document for you...

Unhinged - 3/21/2018 at 08:24

I do. I'm making a slide show for my stamp club and want to be able to say something about this event.

Thank you in advance.

IvoSteijn - 3/21/2018 at 23:10

Here's a cover bearing both values of the set, postmarked in red on the day of issue:

GqtfOIO.jpg - 105kB

Nice, but not that hard to find (although few examples actually went through the mail, like this one).
However, the contents are even nicer:

dWQcCCu.jpg - 449kB

This is the publicity handout for the exhibition, giving all kinds of nice details.

Hope this helps!

Unhinged - 3/24/2018 at 14:49

Thank you for these. The letter is quite interesting. Am I correct in assuming that "Бонные эмиссии" does not translate as "bonny emissions" as per Google?:)

IvoSteijn - 3/24/2018 at 15:29

Hah! With all respect to Google, I think it's banknote emissions.

Unhinged - 4/13/2018 at 12:39

In the handout it says the exhibition is in response to the May 20 Presidium meeting. Does anyone know how I might find out just what led to the idea? I tried looking on the Internot, but got only Amelia Earhart.

Do you agree that making this happen by December was rather a feat? That's not a lot of time, at least to me.

IvoSteijn - 4/14/2018 at 12:14

I presume (theory only) that it was to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the October Revolution. And 6 months to get the exhibition together isn't that crazy: remember that there were no FIP rules and everything was organized in a centrally commanded economy, which makes everything a lot easier...