The Samovar

Hand-stamp or Meter?

jlechtanski - 9/22/2005 at 09:38

Registered cover with Soviet-style postmark of Ufa (УФА) 11 May 1993 and a 60-ruble meter/hand-stamp. It appears to have three wheels – two for rubles and one for kopecks.

A 60-ruble registered letter rate seems very high for May 1993. Could it be because the oil-rich Bashkortostan Republic was asserting its independence at this time?

Ufa Meter Cover.jpg - 27kB

Leroux - 10/6/2005 at 11:27

jlechtanski ... I would say " meter Postage " ... Someone or perhaps for others reason - The middle written is gone.
Got fews of those around;Always have written in middle or nothing or even better - Due to the size of the letter(s) or postage(s) the part(s) with marked the value - Was cut and glued on the letter(s) ... Happend specialy on " Siberian Towns " but not exclusive to ... Moscow has seem some;As well ... Will dig something in the next few days.
Greettings .....

Leroux - 10/6/2005 at 11:33

And adding,even got some from back 1996 with the middle still marked adress " CCCP " ... :lol:
Althrough the postage is " Marked " as " Russia " ... :P
Greettings ....

Leroux - 10/6/2005 at 18:12

And I forgotten ... When the block (Value) is only used :)
I know got one somewhere - Will digged it later ... Greetting.

jlechtanski - 10/7/2005 at 09:19

I have also seen the value cut-out and pasted on covers. I think they were as postage stamps when there was a shortage of stamps during the early 1990s. I have seen it done especially on covers from Ukraine.

Leroux - 10/7/2005 at 09:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Leroux
And I forgotten ... When the block (Value) is only used :)
I know got one somewhere - Will digged it later ... Greetting.

Dear " Jlechtanski " there is one :)
Will post the others example(s) in a while .... Thank you,for your patience ...
1) Severely Edited (For obvious reason) plus scan was from a very large cover - Consequently the scan is not very good.
2) Added info;Just in case :) 9x900 Rub + 1x300Rub ... Recomande + Air Mail ...
From " Volgograd " ... 16.04.1995.
Greettings .....

Leroux - 10/7/2005 at 10:03

Quote:
Originally posted by jlechtanski
I have also seen the value cut-out and pasted on covers. I think they were as postage stamps when there was a shortage of stamps during the early 1990s. I have seen it done especially on covers from Ukraine.

Yes indid " Ukraine " is by far the 1st in total (Potage Labels) - Only not an exclusivity :)
Uzbekistan - Russia - Kazakhstan - Lithunia ... As far as I know - All Genuine postage;All where recieved on safe adresses ... Greettings .........

Andriano - 10/28/2005 at 08:07

About fist cover (Ufa).
When you wrote what “registered letter rate seems very high for May 1993” you must have to mind two notes. 1) Was 2 different tariffs: for private and state foundations and for commercial productions. And second) for each + 20 grams tariff is high. But I see sender is factory, but receiver is statistics found. Therefore in this cover was sent statistic report. As I remember - it was 6 – 8 sheets A4 format. Therefore this letter can be pretty heavy.
Dear jlechtanski ! What for you find mythical independence autonomic republics ? Its isn’t.
But until last time in Russia was many regions where was large that usual tariffs. It was North & Far East regions.

Modern tariffs

verny - 11/16/2005 at 13:05

Just to muddy the waters again, the regional postmasters in Russia have the authority to set the commercial mail rates independently of the standard rates that are used for the general public. This was introduced as part of the ongoing postal reform in Russia that began in the early years of this century.
The idea behind this is that in those areas where costs are higher the postal authorities can reflect that in the commercial rates.
Some regions are also more developed in a business sense and so can afford to pay more.(There are some quite rich companies where oil, IT and mineral mining are predominant).

jlechtanski - 11/17/2005 at 15:42

Could this explain covers that are usually said to be "overpaid" or "overfranked?"

The extra postage might be explained by regional commerial rates in effect at the time.

verny - 11/18/2005 at 13:49

It may do in some cases. I have been wrestling with the implications of this system for a while.
Mostly commercial mail will use franking machines but I also have examples of factory mail with various meter type stamps stuck to the cover or even stapled on.

One of the problems is that whilst I have found official mention of the practice the rates used are often not published outside the post office and organisation using them. (I have a sneaking suspicion that some large organisations also negotiate their rates on a regional basis.

This of course produces a minimum of three tariff schedules:

The public postage tariffs (published)
The regionally set business tariff (Possibly published locally)
Any negotiated "big business" tariff (unlikely to be published).

All of which is incredibly confusing for the modern postal historian.

I will try and dig out the information I have on the introduction of these reforms which will give some sighting shot at a date of introduction.