Jeff
Super Administrator

Mood: It's developing...

cool.gif posted on 12/15/2007 at 20:11
Russian Mystery - A Request for Information

Received today by email. Can someone help Mr. Masters out? Thanks,

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Mr. Radcliffe-- I'm a member of the APS and they suggested you may be able to solve this Russia issue (mystery) for me. This ungummed imperf came out of a worldwide album from the 1930s? and I just can't figure out what it may be. I just collect for fun but I know enough to question if it was a possible local, Ukraine issue. My identifier states thet the top word PYCCKAR was overprinted on Russian stamps used in the Ukraine. The paper appears to be a stamp issue and not from stationary or a possible postal card. I've been over my standard Russia catalog many times and I know how to investigate the back of the book possibilities but I'm all worn out here. My best guess is it may have been a local Ukraine issue or perhaps it was produced but never issued. I'm hoping you'll be kind enough to help me here. Thanks-Chris Masters --Member APS

Russia Mystery.jpg - 39kB
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12/15/2007 at 22:17

Latvia under Russian occupation. Issued in 1919 but never put into use.

From Stanley Gibbons:

Stamps in the above type, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50, 60 and 75 k. were prepared for use by the force raised by Col. Avalov-Bermondt, in Latvia, but were never issued. Forgeries also exist."

He commanded the Western Russia Volunteer Army. The Post Office was back under Lavian control by ther time the stamps were ready.
igorfmyask
Major Philatelist

Mood: Monarchist

[*] posted on 12/15/2007 at 23:24

Bermont-Avalov 4th issue (see Scott Latvia). The stamp looks like forgery. By the way the common mistake is to spell "Bermont" as "BermonDt". His second name (Avalov) is also under big doubt because he was "adopted" by prince Avalov at the age of 32 that looks very strange of course.
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 12/15/2007 at 23:37

I think the "Bermondt" comes from the German spelling

Pawel Rafalowitsch Bermondt-Awalow

Павел Рафалович Бермонт-Авалов
igorfmyask
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 00:24

German spelling is wrong. There is no D in your Russian spelling. I am going to write article about him because he was a very interesting person.
Lacplesis
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 05:10

It's not "wrong", Germany has other transliteration rules for the Russian language than the English speaking world.
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 06:04

A little more precise definition: these stamps were printed in Berlin by order of Bermont administration but never delivered to the place, i.e. never issued.
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 18:34

Why would someone forge such a piece of paper for which the value is very low?

I agree that we should not have a narrow view on transliteration, but try to understand the linguistic differences.:study
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 21:21

My understanding is that a German dealer (or dealers) got hold of the genuine issue and sold them at quite high prices.

How much are genuine copies worth?
igorfmyask
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/16/2007 at 22:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Why would someone forge such a piece of paper for which the value is very low?

It was the matter of communication because of war. Some dealers couldnot receive stamps from Russia so forgers got market.
Lacplesis
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 12/17/2007 at 10:29

In this case i would belive that one dealer purchased the entire stock from the printer and several others (at least 2 different forgeries, if I recall it right) did not see the point to pay the price that dealer was asking. Remeber that this issue never reached russia. But Igor is right in respect of other issues like the last stamps of the NW-Army.

@Igor
If you work on A.-B. take also a look here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=80659&postdays=...
My nick in this discussion was AUSEKLIS.
If you need more, let me know...
TONEO
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2/2/2009 at 14:26

My original stamp ID query has raised some very curiois amd interesting responses.

kind regards
cec71
Major Philatelist

study.gif posted on 2/2/2009 at 22:17
Paper thickness and wove of this issue

This is a very interesting issue from a technical aspect. The paper can be white, light brown or tannish. Wove paper pattern can be vertical or horizontal. Other white paper does not appear to be wove. Thickneess of ungummed issues can vary from 0.63 to 0.118 mm. Colors are myraid. Perforated or unperforated. Gummed or non gummed. Am preparing a publication on the classification of this issue.
cec71
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/3/2009 at 11:15
Counterfeits of this issue

Does anyone have references or articles (in English) on differentiation of counterfeits from regular issues? Thank you.
Rasputin
Super Moderator

Mood: Philatelic

[*] posted on 2/4/2009 at 07:35

Quote:
Originally posted by cec71
Does anyone have references or articles (in English) on differentiation of counterfeits from regular issues? Thank you.

Try these:

1) Stamps of the Western Army of Col. Bermondt-Avalov, by A. Nuksa and A.M. Rosselevich. Russian Philatelist No. 4, Nov. 1963, pp. 22-28.

2) The Eagle Stamps of the Western Army, by R.J. Benns. British Journal of Russian Philately No. 37, Oct. 1965, pp. 5-16 and 2 illustration pages. (Also his brief comments in the "Correspondence" section of BJRP No. 35, Oct. 1964, p. 38.)

3) I do not have this item at hand, so it may turn out to be something other than what you're looking for, but try Forgeries of the Unissued West Russian Army Stamps of Latvia, by Varro E. Tyler. The American Philatelist, May 1983, pp. 416-418.

4) These issues must have been covered in one or more of Ray Ceresa's "The Postage Stamps of Russia, 1917-1923" monographs, 3rd series - "The Armies," but my set went to the Rossica Library, so I don't know exactly which of the issues covered them.

5) Even though you're looking for articles in English, I don't think you can afford to overlook "Die Awaloff-Bermondt-Marken oder Dichtung und Wahrheit, by Harry von Hofmann. Philatelia Baltica Nos. 45-47, Dec. 1966, pp. 2-32.

There are undoubtedly more sources out there. Those above were gleaned from "The Rossica Society Library Subject Index," 1993. Whenever you're digging for information, the best place to start is the Rossica Society Library, which has one of the two largest concentrations of philatelic literature on Russia and related areas in the Western Hemisphere. Contact Greg Mirsky; he should be able to provide more than this short list.

Good luck in your research!

Go To Top