Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Paolo Bianchi Collection
ameis33
Major Philatelist

Mood: Not bad

[*] posted on 5/15/2008 at 01:13
The Paolo Bianchi Collection

I don't know if someone of you could be interested, but the 1st june Investphila will hold "The philatelic auction event of the year: the "PAOLO BIANCHI" International Large Gold Medal collection of IMPERIAL RUSSIA"

http://www.investphila.com/en/

I've received the catalog, and from a quick view is one of the few which worth to be kept in the library. My suggestion is to download it...
RSFSR
Major Philatelist

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 5/15/2008 at 13:11

Thank you for the information. I just downloaded it and will take a look at tonight.
ameis33
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 5/15/2008 at 14:18

WOW...

Let's start from the lot 2147, a simple dotted numeral cancel. Let's go on with the 2148, which will interest the ones of you who love proofs and essays, or devote ourselfs with something easier like lots 2181 or 2182. Let's then jump back to 2086, a simple 10k franking with a Russia number 1, or the 2082, the "spectacular Frantz Kepler's sketch of the first stamp of Russia", and what about 2083?
For the very normal people, there are always the sections "Mail to foreign destination before UPU" and "Incoming Mail before UPU", and why not to take a look to the collection balances (2360-2361, etc.).
I will just follow 2394

Believe me, let's download the catalog...

"... along with the legendary Faberge, Liphschutz and Mikulski collections, one of the four most important and prestigious Russias ever gathered."
ameis33
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 5/21/2008 at 14:34

Seem to me the Bianchi collection aroused a big interest in the italian philately.
On the april issue of the postal gazette

http://www.thepostalgazette.com/

there are several articles about the russian philately, specially in the imperial age, written by Benito Carobene, who also has prepared the preface of the Bianchi collection's catalog. The articles are introductives, as far as i can read, but still interesting and of course mostly for a public of non russian collectors.
All articles are in italian and in english, and some of them can be freely downloaded...
ameis33
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 6/5/2008 at 02:01

Results available online at www.investphila.com
Enough to look at the first lots published on the home page to have an idea of what the auction has been...
David Jay
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/11/2008 at 00:25

I was curious about why the "private treaty" status for the blocks of 4 of #2 to 4. Is this to keep
the transaction out of public view to avoid taxes?
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 6/11/2008 at 17:34

Maybe someone bought it offline? This is not unusual. Why not ask the auctioneer what it means and let us know.;)
ameis33
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 6/20/2008 at 15:04

The private treaty is a common way for pieces of a high importance (and price...). It is common not just in philatelic auctions, but also i.e. in the real estate (houses) market... Houses over the 1.000.000 euro are usually sold (at least in Italy) with private treaty by the various agency... I think mostly not to attract attention showing the final price...
PS! Anyway, some piece sold in public view reached several hundred thousands euro... WOW... look at the (public) results... and imagine the private treaty ones...
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 6/20/2008 at 17:38

Yes, it rally hurts when you lose a bid by a single increment. Oh well.:tumble:

Go To Top