Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Color samples wanted
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 11/10/2008 at 17:53
Color samples wanted

Russian catalogs (Soloviev and Standard-Collection in particular) list postage-due stamps on 1924 (overprinted on "chainbreakers") in two colors - CARMINE and BRICK-RED. Could anybody show here a sample of those two types, side-by-side?
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 11/10/2008 at 18:56

Ed,

Scans won't help you (unfortunately) in this specific case. The best way to see which one has red overprint and which one is carmine is to look at them under reflective sun light. Stamp with 8 kop overprint exists ONLY in carmine(!). So use it as your reference. All other stamps exist in red and carmine.

Greg
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 11/10/2008 at 19:23
Better something than nothing.

Greg;

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I understand that scanner distorts colors, and, yes, I know that 8-kop is carmine only, but I still would appreciate a sample, with all those disclaimers in mind - if it's not TOO difficult or course.
cec71
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/17/2009 at 21:18
Red orange vs carmine Scott J 1-9

I have noted some of these overprints are lithographed, some are typographed. It seems the carmine are typo and the red orange are litho. Can someone verify this? It may be an easier way to tell these overprint colors apart on mint stamps. Comparing other values to the 8K is NOT that easy!
GregMirsky
Rossica Librarian

Mood: Still Optimistic...

[*] posted on 2/18/2009 at 01:52

All overprints (red and carmine) on stamps Scott #J1-J9 are typographed. Lithographed overprints on these stamps do not exist to the best of my knowledge.

cec71
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/19/2009 at 22:44
Typo vs. lith overprints

I have examined 45 stamps J 1-9, both carmine and red-orange overprinted. All but 4 have an overprint that is typographed with the indentation seen clearly on the gum side. The 4 other stamps do not show the typical typographed characteristics. I suspect the overprint on these is lightly impressed thus not indenting the stamp and not "lithographed". Thanks...
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2/20/2009 at 12:00

Does the ink look different on those four stamps that do not show the embossing?

I am thinking of the ink differences between the lithographed and typographed overprints on the "star overprints" of 1922-23.

In the case of the "star overprints," as Greg Mirsky and David Waterman showed in Rossica Journal Flyspecker 145, the lithographed overprints have a poorly defined border. The typographed overprints have a nicely defined border, usually defined borderlines with the color filling in between.

cec71
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 2/21/2009 at 18:19

Using the Scott 216-229 overprints as a reference the overprints on the non embossed gum side stamps does appear to be typographed. On some the numbers and text one can see the ink has been extruded outward to form the outline of the overprint. I would be confident these are not lithographed overprints.

Go To Top