Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1925 German colony postal agency
vasia
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/11/2009 at 10:18
1925 German colony postal agency

An interesting cover has recently come across my way.

Originally sent in February 1925 from a resident of the village / colony Neudorf in Volhynia, the cover was first stamped by the postal agency of Солодирі, where it was also registered with the nice registration handstamp. It then passed through the nearby post office of Kutuzovo (5-6 miles from Solodirii), Kiev and on to Berlin.

I have been able to trace that Neudorf was a German Baptist colony located about 40km NW of Zhitomir in Volhynia. In 1911 it had 44 houses and 282 inhabitants. It was obviously too small to have its own postal establishment. The village today is called Zazdrivka.

Any further information or comments would be appreciated.
Is there any philatelic reference regarding postal agencies and their markings during Soviet times?

0001-4.jpg - 431kB

0002-3.jpg - 399kB
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/24/2009 at 23:30

This is a very nice example of a Pocht Agentsvo marking -- these are scarce and rather individualistic.
I posted one some time back, if it didn't get deleted.
vasia
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 1/1/2010 at 11:17

Here is an additional Postal Agency cancel I recently added to my collection:

0001-7.jpg - 370kB

0003-4.jpg - 373kB

And a close-up of the cds:

0002-6.jpg - 83kB

It appears to be a German Avis de Reception (Notification of Receipt) card of American Express (originally accompanying declared-value parcel/lettter?) sent from Berlin on 16/7/1927 to Postal Agency CT. Kutkovchi – П-Аг. Ст КУТКОВЦЫ, Kamenets, Ukraine (29/7/1927). The parcel / letter was delivered to recipient on 26/7 as noted in form and by the manuscript cancellation of the duty stamp. The additional cds of Kiew Gare of 1/8/1927 suggests that the Postal Agency cancel of “26/8/1927” might have an incorrect month, being in reality 26/7/1927.

Any help would be appreciated on the following:
1. Am I correct in assuming that the card accompanied a declared-value letter / parcel or is it something else (for example a bank transfer)?
2. How were these cards returned to the sender (in this case American Express in Berlin)? Were they enclosed in a franked letter?
3. Was CT. Kutkovchi – П-Аг. Ст КУТКОВЦЫ, Kamenets (today in Ternopol), Ukraine also by any chance a German colony?
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1/1/2010 at 15:22

Referring to the Kutkovtsy card ----

Is there any indication of this being part of a larger card – perforation or scissor cut?

The manuscript “Ae / 65 Bway” is the old American Express Headquarters address at 65 Broadway in New York City from 1874-1975.

Here is my interpretation of the postmarks:

The item arrived at Kutkovtsy on 26 Jul (Aug?) 1927 as indicated by the “timbre de bureau destinataire” postmark.

The item was also delivered from Kutkovtsy as indicated by the “timbre de bureau expéditeur de l'avis” postmark.

I have seen international AR cards (not to Russia) where the “destinataire” and “expéditeur de l'avis” have postmarks of different cities. In this case Kutkovtsy served both as the arrival and delivery office.

The 1 Aug 1927 Kiew Gare postmark indicates where the AR card entered the mail stream independently on its way back to Berlin. The other postmarks were applied while the card was still associated with the package.

So my opinion to your first two questions:
1. I think the card accompanied a declared value (420 Reichsmarks) letter or parcel.
2. It was returned as an open letter in the mail stream. Unfortunately there is no arrival postmark.
David Jay
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 1/3/2010 at 00:19

Two things -
1) this poor group of Germans probably fared rather poorly in WWII.
2) What exactly was the purpose of the 6k revenue?

Go To Top