The Samovar
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Double paper - what is it?
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

Mood: Perplexed

[*] posted on 6/8/2010 at 14:51
Double paper - what is it?

This stamp (Scott # 1341A) came to me on a dealer card with notation "RARE. DOUBLE PAPER". I made two sets of scans (front and back) -
[1] A regular one
[2] As transparencies.

Russia-1341A-both-sides.jpg - 113kB Russia-1341A-trans-both-sides.jpg - 103kB

We can see that, indeed, there is a second layer of paper covering all but a narrow strip of paper on right (if to look from back). The second layer of paper has perforations on three sides, of which two sides are perfectly aligned with the top layer, but the third (at the top) is not. Also the second layer is not gummed. Appears like the design is only on the top layer.

Anybody knows how could that happen? Any other examples are known? How common or scarce is it? Etc., etc.
RSFSR
Major Philatelist

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6/8/2010 at 15:28

I would think one possible solution is that the selvage got wrapped around ... if you look very carefully at the right edge you will probably find that the paper is connected there.

If the stamp was being displayed and the owner wanted to use hinges, bending the selvage back over the rear of the stamp would allow a nice presentation and also would prevent the stamp from losing its MNH status. Overtime and assuming the conditions were right, they would get stuck together.
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 6/8/2010 at 15:41
From Linn's

A non-Rossica viewer sent me an email with the following clipping from some back issue of Linn's
"Double paper was also used briefly in U.S. stamp production to prevent the reuse of stamps. This consisted of a thin and a thick layer of paper joined together in the production process. The design of the stamp was printed on the thin layer, and any attempt to clean a cancel from the stamp would destroy the design. The term double paper is also used to describe the point at which the end of a paper web (press roll) is attached to the beginning of another on a rotary press. The stamps printed on the overlapping portion are not meant to be released but have occasionally been missed by inspectors."
Text
cec71
Major Philatelist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/8/2010 at 17:24
double paper

Examining the top, bottom and left edge of the stamp the perforations line up or nearly line up perfectly. I believe this, as the previous responder noted, is selvage that was carefully folded over. Mositure produced adherence of the two gummed surfaces.
oldteddy
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 6/18/2010 at 14:10

Thanks everybody for helping me with this "mystery".

Go To Top