Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/27/2005 at 10:28

Here is one link. Click on illegal stamps on the left

http://www.pwmo.org/pwo-en-frame.htm
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 2/27/2005 at 18:44

If the letters are addressed to you, that is one thing. If not, it is another thing.

Back in the early 1990s, there was a dealer selling similar material at the volume of $15,000 a week. He knew they were fakes, but sold it anyway. He laughed all the way to the bank!

Does this mean what you have is not legitimate? Who knows. However, rest assured that there will always be someone out there who is willing to "create" whatever will sell.

The only thing that has changed in Russia is the leader. Not much else has changed. If you had to "cross the palm" to get something done in the USSR, I suspect it remains the same today.

Now my challenge to the subject is to 1) prove that the stamps were even issued and available by the country for which they claim to represent (don't just poo-poo the UPU) and 2) send mail to the addressee and sender of the letters in question and ask them about it as well.

We need facts, not theories or speculation.
yozhik
Expert Philatelist

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4/4/2005 at 16:59
Whew....

"The only thing that has changed in Russia is the leader."

Whoa! hold on Gary that is a pretty dynamite statement. It is also one that I cannot in all seriousness accept or let pass uncommented.

There may indeed be some aspects of Russia that have changed little, especially in the more remote areas but there is a lot that has changed out of all recognition since 1991 and the days of Communism.

If you made such a comment to my wife you would,quite rightly, be verbal mincemeat in about 10 seconds flat!
(The children would perhaps take a little longer.)

In all seriousness as someone who has lived and worked in Russia for many months many times over the last 15 years I am equally concerned.

Russia is not perfect and as a family we recognise that the country still has a long way to go but to say that nothing has changed is to belittle the achievements of ordinary Russians. Such comments perpetuate old myths and do little to help the country's development.
:(
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 4/4/2005 at 17:19

To keep this as non-political as possible and within the philatelic realm as I have done, please educate us what has changed. I said "suspect." Sorry, I am not afraid of your wife or children. :-))
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 4/5/2005 at 17:12

PS: Welcome back!!!:)
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 4/11/2005 at 13:55
Altai Region Documents

Website which illustrates Altai Region post office documents ordering overprints in 1993?

http://russian-stamps.dialog-it.ru/top/var/alt2copy.htm
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 6/17/2005 at 15:40
Local Manuscript Surcharges

There is a small piece in the 20 Jun 2005 Linn's Stamp News about and article in the April issued of the Cinderella Philatelist published by the Cinderella Stamp Club in the UK. The issue contains an article by V. and P. Florensky and Kirill Protopopov about local manuscript surcharges in Russia in the 1990s.

"Because of inflation, stamps on hand were inadequate for payment of new postal rates. Some local postmasters began applying manuscript surcharges to stamps, often by changing kopeks to rubles, without official permission from postal authorities."

I found the club on the web at http://www.cinderellastampclub.org.uk/
Gary
Deceased

[*] posted on 6/17/2005 at 16:41

Outstanding links. THANKS!!!!!
Andriano
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 6/30/2005 at 03:42

For Russia
A) about “CCCP” cancellation.
Russian Ministry of Communication did not simultaneous replacement of usual calendar postmarks. For example, in first months of 92 year was not definitionly as will write name of new state in new postmarks: «Российская Федерация», «Россия», «Российская Почта» or any other. Therefore, at first Russian “First Day Postmark” ’s hadn’t any name generally. For the first time name “РОССИЯ” appeared 22.04.92. In second-half 92 was beginning gradual substitution of ordinary calendar postmarks (OCP), besides first territory was Primorskiy Kray ( capital – Vladivostok) and Nizhegorodskaya Oblast (Nizhniy Novgorod). Other “CCCP” OCP used many years, if its was good for post job. For example, I find this OCP (18-08-98), besides this OCP used in PostOffice, which serviced Moscow Int’l Fair “ExpoCenter” in “Krasnaya Presnya”. As I know in 99 all “CCCP” OCP was substitute.

PostMarkCCCP.jpg - 48kB
Leroux
Czarist

[*] posted on 7/1/2005 at 11:01

Andriano got plainty of those ex-soviet cancellations (Most are without the star) ... And there has been many small run of various other types;Not there lasted long ...
There is one of special interest (Sorry quality of scanning is apolling) ...
Was edited (By myself - Not sure i should post some details) orever;Since it`s not to visible - There is some details from the cancellation ... Kazan - 29 (twice) at the bottom and at the top it read " Tatarstan " ... In the middle is say 06069718

Greettings ...
Leroux
Czarist

[*] posted on 7/1/2005 at 11:11

Ooops forgotten your reply - Sorry ... There is an even later date ... 0?.12.98 - Moscow ж-180

Greettings ...
Andriano
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/2/2005 at 09:01

Found for illustration. When was start of replacement postmarks “CCCP”, forms and legends this new postmarks was not prescribe accuracy in law. Therefore, in 2 autonomous republics, was did postmarks without words “почта России”, but with names this republics only. It was “Tatarstan” and “Udmurtia”. Then when this postmarks start used in mail, was “Prikaz” Ministry of Communication about obligatory words in postmarks. Therefore any time used two types of postmarks: with word “Tatarstan” only and with words “почта России”. In scan: «Казань-111» (black) and « Казань-60» (blue). It is outside return cover.

Tatarstan.jpg - 53kB

Go To Top