Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Handwritten Surcharge
jlechtanski

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7/26/2005 at 15:46
Handwritten Surcharge

Below is a piece of postal stationery that may have been up-rated from 5k to 7k by a postal worker. The cover went from Ufa-77 to St. Petersburg P-136.

The cover is postmarked Ufa ???? Bashkir ASSR, 6 Oct 1991, with an arrival postmark on the back of Leningrad P-136, 9 Oct 1991. Both are Soviet-style postmarks.

My notes tell me that the area became the Bashkir ASSR on 23 Mar 1919, declared sovereignty on 11 Oct 1990, and became the Republic of Bashkortostan in 1992.

Two questions please:

Was 7k the correct letter rate in Oct 1991?

What is it that looks like УФАН.ЖДП in the postmark? I ’m thinking “Уфанский железнодорожный почтамт” (Ufa Railroad Post Office).

seven-120.jpg - 34kB
Leroux
Czarist

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/27/2005 at 10:41

Got the same problem with some from " Ukraine " ... Early month 08.
Only rather diff No`s ... And at least (+)
Greettings ...
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/27/2005 at 12:32

The letter rate was actually raised to 7 k in 1991, although I do not remember the precise date. I am not quite sure that the letter after УФА is "Н" but if attribute, it should be УФИМСКИЙ, so this letter has another meaning.
After the postal rate had been raised, the post offices in Russia resorted to various methods of revaluing their PS stocks, inc. masnuscript surcharges. I can show examples from a later period when it were already the 7-kop PS envelopes revalued to 1 r 20 k after the rates were increased again in summer 1992.
Finding myself in the small town of Kirovsk, Leningrad obl., I bought on 1 August, 2 such revalued PS. The first, bought in the town post office was uprated by 24 5-k adhesives affixed to it thus merely ignoring the imprinted stamp. The second, bought at the postal branch, some 1500 m from the post office was revalued by a manuscript surcharge; both were sold for 1 r 20 k. To confirm their postal use, I addressed them to myself post restante St. Petersburg where they arrived after 2 weeks! (it requires 30-40 min on car along a good highway to make the distance between Kirovsk and St. Petersburg).

1.20-1.jpg - 20kB
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/27/2005 at 12:35

The second cover.

1.20-2.jpg - 16kB
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/27/2005 at 12:36

And one more example, this time from Sverdlovsk (now Ekaterinburg)

1.20-3.jpg - 25kB
Andriano
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 7/28/2005 at 07:08

For jlechtanski
Perfectly translate !!! Only little correction.
«УФА ПЖДП» - «Уфа Привокзальный ЖелезноДорожный Почтамт» - “Ufa PostOffice of Railway Station”.
In 02.04.91 was last change of Soviet tariffs. Inland letter was no 5 but 7 kopeek.
As you know, all not philatelist maling in Soviet Union (and now in Russia too) used «художественные маркированные конверты» (ХМК) – word to word “art stamped covers”. (“Art” – because it has any illustration in address side, “stamped” – because has imprinted stamp (as rule – definitive, but may be in change color)). Soviet Post printed never 300 – 400 type covers each year, each has edition 1 – 25 million pies. Therefore, reserve this covers was giant !!! (For example, Soviet covers used Russia and more Ex-USSR States 2-3 year after 91). And all this covers must finish glued new 2 kopeek definitive stamp!!! Therefore was allowed «временные переоценки» (“provisional overrates”). At usual, its do different punch. But, sometimes, was handwrites.
And, it is no equivalently “provisional overrates” after Soviet period (1992-….). It was big disparity.
As I know, big work by search and cataloged this “provisional overrates” do Mr. and Mr. Florensky’s and Mr. and Mr. Serebryakov’s. They published in “Philately” this articles about differenent Soviet and Russian regions.
But “regional suverinitet” – it is words only (inland Ex-Soviet Union Republics, of couse). All this inland Russian “parade of sovereignties” don’t touch Post Servise, it was federal all time. Therefore this tariff was correctly.
Apropos, will see outside cover. It must has handwrite in “price cover is…”.
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 8/1/2005 at 10:25

I can also illustrate a 7-kopeck postal stationery envelope re-valued to 1 ruble 20 kopecks. This one is from Dec 1992 with a violet hand-stamp “NEW PRICE” (НОВАЯ ЦЕНА) and a manuscript 1-20.

The cover is from Suzemka, Bryansk Oblast (СУЗЕМКА БРЯН. ОБЛ.) to Vinitsa (ВИНИЦА, ВІННИЦА), Ukraine.

It appears that the 1 ruble 20 kopeck rate was good for inland as well as the Ukraine, which was independent by this time.

Does anyone know when this rate started?

1R-20K.jpg - 25kB
Andriano
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/4/2005 at 02:13

From 24.06.92 tariff in CIS (Condominium of Independent States) was: postcard: usual/regist. = 0,50 / 1,50; letter: 0,80 / 1,50. (as inland Russia)
Unfortunately, I not have illustrate materials and don’t can say surely, but I think that words «новая цена 1-20» have mind in that “1-20” is sale price this postal cover as 0,80 – tariff + 0,40 – price cover as paper goods.
As can see, sender this letter was works, therefore may be that lot of this covers was buy, then applied this tariff.
Alep
Major Philatelist

[*] posted on 8/5/2005 at 15:17

That is right - the PS envelopes in the USSR and later in Russia were sold with a surcharge of about 50 per cent against the face value of the imprinted stamp that was equal to the postal rate for the particular mail for which the PS was destined. However, the postal officials were sometimes confused making no difference between the tariff and sale price: my cover from Kirovsk (with the affixed adhesives) is an example: 15 5-k stamps would suffice for the franking, the remaining 9 stamps were a waste.
And a correction: there were no tariffs common for the CIS States, each having own rates. The rates cited by Adriano were valid in Russia both for inland mail and the mail to other CIS States.
jlechtanski

[*] posted on 8/26/2005 at 13:02

Attached is another postal stationery piece revalued to 1 ruble 20 kopecks. It appears to be another case of 80k postage + 40k for the envelope. This one is postmarked Kazan Railway Station Post Office (КАЗАНЬ ПЖДП) 15 Dec 1992 to St. Petersburg.

The revaluation hand-stamp is ПОЧТА / 1 руб. 20 коп. / КАЗАНЬ

Kazan PZhDP.jpg - 27kB

Go To Top